Thursday, January 24, 2008

We've seen it!

The best film of the festival is Tom McCarthy's The Visitor.

It's his follow up to The Station Agent and honestly I think it's even better. It is similar in tone - strong characters, isolated people finding each other and coming alive. But that's where the similarities end.

It starts with a lonely professor in Connecticut going down to NYC where he must begrudgingly present a paper at a conference at NYU. He returns to his New York City apartment which he has kept vacant for many years and is shocked to find a young couple living there. What follows I will allow you to experience for yourselves when the film is released in April in LA/NY. But I will say it was a perfect blend of subtle politics and personal awakenings that will leave you hoping Tom McCarthy doesn't wait another five years or so to make his next film!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a great movie! i loved the station agent...can't wait!

David Shanker said...

Dor - I didn't like the Station Agent - I think I will pass/